Followers

Powered by Blogger.

Tuesday 4 October 2011

Parenting....

"Each generation has been an education for us in different ways. The first child-with-bloody-nose was rushed to the emergency room. The fifth child-with-bloody-nose was told to go to the yard immediately and stop bleeding on the carpet. "
Art Linketter

It's amazing just how bang-on this quote is. As a mom, and as someone who works in the Emergency Room, I see this kind of thing all the time. The panicked looks painted on the faces of the new parents when their 4 month old coughs, the fear stricken parents of the 2 year old boy with the staple in his finger, and the utter hopelessness in the voice of the mom whos toddler just drank what was left of the bubbles. And then, ooooh and then, the complete opposite end of the spectrum. The parents who roll their eyes and scoff while they explain that their "youngest" fell from the treehouse and what the hell was he doing going up to the treehouse when he knew that it's Tuesday and Tuesday is their middle child's day to play in the tree house. OH! and then they're oldest ... *insert dramatic story here*
It's great. I love it. I revel in it. Mainly because I am already that parent. Don't get me wrong!! I love my children and care about them to the end of the earth and back. However... I have seen some shit! And after that, somehow, the bloody nose that has occurred time and time again because my daughter just WILL NOT keep her finger out of it just doesn't say "ER" to me.
I have been referred to as a "Garden Parent". I don't think I'd want to be anything else than a Garden Parent. My children spent 8+ hours outside everyday in summer and I believe they grew physically, intellectually, and emotionally stronger because of the amount of time they spend outside with friends. When they come in at night, their feet are black because who needs shoes, really. Their hair is matted and there is the occasional blood smear on some limb. I am amazed everytime I bathe them at the colour of the water after, and have discovered that if you put the two of them in the tub together, their splashing and swimming acts as an agitator and they're cleaner than if I bathe them seperately :) Oh the things we learn.

1 comment:

  1. aww I lovee you too! The garden children of sheriff way shall reign all over this kingdom :) love the bum in the rain pics!!!

    ReplyDelete